Grape-Nuts Cookies


Once again, I was in “trying to get healthy mode,” so I picked up Grape-Nuts Cereal at the store.  When I got home, I noticed a cookie recipe on the box.  Grape-Nuts Cookies--yes!  I immediately began to make cookies.  I have not yet had a bowl of cereal. 

The recipe called for ingredients to be mixed with an electric mixer, and I haven’t seen mine since a friend borrowed it a few years back, so the mixer I used was me.



I was super happy this recipe requires rolled oats. I have an unopened box that will finally get put to good use.  I have never been a fan of rolled oats, but I picked those up on another day I was thinking of being healthy. The oatmeal has been kept very safely in the cupboard ever since. I dusted it off and it was fine. 



The recipe called for dark brown sugar, but I only had light brown sugar.  It worked quite well.

I tore my kitchen apart looking for cookie sheets, with no luck. I got to thinking about it,  and to tell you the truth, I haven’t made cookies in so many years, they’d probably be rusted through if I did have any cookie sheets.  I found a lasagna-style bake pan, so I decided to make due with that.  



Grape-Nuts Cookies
(printable recipe)

½ cup softened butter
 


½ cup firmly packed brown sugar
½ cup granulated sugar



3 tbsp. honey
2 eggs



2 tsp. vanilla
1 tsp. baking soda
¼ tsp. salt
2 cups rolled oats
1 cup flour
1 cup Post Grape-Nuts cereal




Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Beat butter and sugar till the mix is smooth. Add honey, eggs and vanilla and mix. 

 

Add baking soda, salt, rolled oats, flour and Grape-Nuts. Combine till just mixed.

Drop rounded tablespoons of dough onto lined or greased cookie sheet, 2” apart. Bake 10-14 minutes or till golden brown.



Cool 2-3 minutes, then remove from baking sheet. Cool completely on wire racks. When cool, you can store the cookies you have left in an airtight container (if you are like me, you have already started eating them at this point).

Makes 4 dozen cookies, or 24 servings (2 cookies per serving).




They were delicious!

My neighbor came by and tried one. She loved them!  I would give a direct quote, but she used a series of expletives to declare her praise.

The only thing I would like to change about this recipe is the butter. I am going to try these again, and replace the butter with applesauce.  The cookies should come out fine--but I will try it to make sure.  I will update the recipe with the applesauce option, if all goes well.







Comments