Simple Watermelon and Tomato Salad





After stumbling across a few watermelon and tomato salad recipes, I decided to try to make one. The only thing is, I don't really like watermelon.

Then I thought about how healthy watermelon is; that's good.

And then I remembered all those seeds; that's bad...

And then I reasoned that I do like the pretty red color; that's good...

After going back and forth like this for a while, I decided to be wild and just go for it.

I perused recipes online and decided to pare down one I found from My Recipes. I used the most basic ingredients for this first try. The recipe called for red onion, but I didn't have any. Also, I used white wine vinegar instead of the red wine vinegar from My Recipes, because it's what I had in the old cupboard. The My Recipes version gives an option of serving with Romaine lettuce. I do have iceberg right now, but decided against it. I have seen other tomato and watermelon salad recipes with some interesting ingredients, such as avocado and feta. That does sound pretty amazing...

I, however, will start with the basics.



I got lucky on picking the watermelon. I really have no idea how to properly "thump" these giant fruits, so I just grabbed one. I cut off a hunk to try it and it tasted pretty good. For a watermelon.


I went with cherry tomatoes because their color was the most vibrant of all the tomatoes available. And I love the way they look in salads. Aren't they adorable?



Simple Watermelon and Tomato Salad


(PRINTABLE RECIPE)

5 cups seeded watermelon chunks
1 1/2 lb. cherry tomatoes-halved
3 tsp. sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup white wine vinegar
1/4 cup olive oil

Toss watermelon and tomatoes. Add sugar and salt--toss. Let stand 15 minutes.

Whisk oil and vinegar and toss with fruit.

Serves 4-6


The result was shockingly good, considering how I feel about watermelon. I really expected that I would try to choke down the salad while telling myself how very healthy it is, while my distaste for this fruit of a thousand seeds quickly overpowers my desire to improve my eating habits.

The flavors were well balanced and delicious. I think that feta, avocado and red onion would be terrific additions. But if you want a super simple salad...this is a winner. It was filling too.

I hope you give it a try!

Comments